- Published: Thursday, 26 September 2019 20:17
- Written by Timothy Chapman
The following is a short list of terms used by the Bible and what the meaning of their use in the Bible. All entries are alphabetized and every letter is displayed even if there are no entries under that letter. This list may be added to over time.
- A person, practice, or thing that is despised by God.
- A relationship between a man and the wife of another man.
- A day or other period of time appointed by God in Torah as holy.
- A day or other period of time reserved for a specific event or set of events.
- The 66 books containing the books of the "Old Testament" and "New Testament".
- That which God created.
- Greek for "anointed one"; Messiah.
- To desire someone or something that one does not have.
- The cessation or end of life.
- Metaphorically: The current state of the wicked who are living.
- Not functioning as intended.
- Violence or disaster.
- Modern: A relationship between a man and an unmarried woman.
- A fiery place outside of Jerusalem where trash, and the dead bodies of wicked people, was burned.
- Metaphorically: The ultimate fate of wicked people.
- When the G is capitalized: Yahweh, the creator of all things.
- When the g is lower case:
- A (false) supreme deity.
- Rarely: An angel of God.
- Very Rarely: Ruler; man or woman of authority, honor, strength, or wealth. Usually translated as "prince" or other title given to such a person.
- The dwelling place of God.
- The atmosphere above the surface of the Earth.
- Outer space, the space above the atmosphere.
- The grave or pit; the place where the dead rest.
- A fictional place of eternal, burning torment for the wicked.
- A holy day; a day set apart by God.
- Modern: Any day of celebration or remembrance.
- Set apart by God.
Lake of Fire
- A place of burning sulfur reserved for Satan and his angles, where the wicked will meet their ultimate fate.
- The second death.
- The state of being alive.
- Metaphorically: The current state of the righteous who are dead.
- Desire; Covet
- To knowingly desire to have a woman who is married to another man for oneself.
- An adult, male human being.
- All of humanity.
- Hebrew for "anointed one".
- (The) Messiah; Yeshua (Jesus).
- A person's name.
- A person's reputation.
- A person's authority.
- A human being.
- A reversal of death; a dead person or persons being fully-restored to life.
- Obedience to Torah.
- The Day of Rest; the Seventh day of the week (Saturday).
- Commonly falsely referred to as the day of worship.
- The Tanach ("Old Testament").
- The Torah, the Prophets, and the Psalms.
- Any written thing good for instruction.
- Modern: The entirety of the Bible.
- Breaking Torah.
- Rebellion against Torah.
- Disobedience to Torah.
- A person.
- Wind or breath.
- The mind.
- (in the spirit) Metaphorical: Not physically present.
- To unknowingly or accidentally break Torah.
- (to cause another to stumble) To cause another person to unknowingly break Torah.
- Literally means "teaching" or "instruction": God's Law/Instructions; the first five books of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy).
- Evil; sinful.
- An adult, female human being.
- The one, true God; the Creator of all things.
- Jesus, the only begotten Son of God.
- Salvation or "God is Salvation".